Emotional Intelligence and The Limbic System's Personal IPOD



In 1981 while I was a sophomore in high school and as an aftereffect of some road trips with my family, I became a fan of the 70’s rock group ABBA.  In 2010, ABBA’s music experienced a revival through the musical “Mama Mia.”  The musical showcased some of their most popular songs in a story of young love, feminine mid-life crisis and reunited love.  After enjoying the movie with my wife, we bought “The Best of Abba” CD, which I promptly started listening to in my car.  I heartily began to enjoy singing along in the relative privacy of my car as wary passers-by rolled their eyes and laughed at my disco-driving moves.  But something was out of order.  As one song would end, my internal IPod would start to play the next song of the previously-released album from the late 70’s.  This was due to the many hours of previous programming in my brain.  Some thirty years later, without conscious thought, I was amazed that I knew what song should be next.  The order of songs had become hardwired in my brain.  Such is the case with the brain’s limbic system and how it affects much more than music memory.
Recent advances in brain mapping have produced some remarkable discoveries that support the notion that Emotional Intelligence is not a red-headed stepchild of neuroscience, but a full-blooded sibling.  The scientifically observed interplay of base and sophisticated communication within the brain can help to explain why we have strong and irrational reactions like the one I had with the appliance salesman in the opening story.  As we will come to learn, these reactions are, in fact, irrational, originating from a part of the brain that is not rational, but more instinctual.  The way data enters the brain and how the data is processed is a matter of stimulus travelling from base parts of the brain (the hippocampus and the amygdala at the bottom-center of the brain) to the frontal lobe of the brain where the reasoning centers reside. The signals that travel along these neuronic pathways are constructed early in the life of the individual.  They are, in turn, well-travelled through the lifetime of the individual.  These neuronic pathways become the proverbial “path of least resistance” and the first travelled down, regardless of the manner in which the data enters the brain.
Subsequently, along the way the data can be intercepted or the reaction can be trained.  This is, perhaps, one of the most exciting and promising notions of Emotional Intelligence; it is trainable.  Emotional Intelligence can be increased.  A person’s regular intelligence quotient (IQ) is predetermined and constant.  It is not remedial.  It is not improvable.  Emotional Intelligence can be!  To learn more or to get an Emotional Intelligence Assessment, click here.

Comments