Healthy Relationships - Emotional Intelligence and Relational Ergonomics

Ergonomics can be described as a system that is designed for comfort, efficiency, safety, and productivity.  Have you ever thought of relationships in that capacity?  Emotional Intelligence includes the effective means of self-management.  Ergonomically speaking, accessing good relationships can help with all four elements of ergonomics.

I have a really good ergonomic relationship with my administrative assistant.  I recently returned from a weekend retreat where I was the event manager and the main speaker.  This was immediately following two weeks of three other major events where I was a planner, promoter, manager, and speaker at each.  Upon returning to work, my relationally ergonomic administrative assistant told me about a meeting I needed to attend to speak about a different event coming up in a few months.  There would be some negotiation involved.  She said she was scheduling the meeting for the following day. 

Why?  Because she knew I would be tired from this final of four events, and that I would likely be a little tired/grumpy.  (I have some history of failed emotional intelligence.)  She thought I could use a day to recover a little.  She was right.

This is relational ergonomics!  She managed me and my relationships for comfort, efficiency, safety, and productivity.  I acquiesced.  We just concluded the meeting with a great team result!

Do you have the right ergonomic relationships?  Do you need to understand your emotional intelligence better?  Check out personalproclivity.com to increase the understanding of your natural tendencies and personal strength.

Comments