Falling On Your Emotional Face - Emotional Intelligence and Social Tripping



Have You Ever Emotionally Tripped in a Social Setting?
It was among the most embarrassing moments of my teenage years.  My brother’s new girlfriend was at our home for dinner.  I wanted impress her and make my brother proud.  While my family and our guest of honor were still eating, I had to get up to leave for a baby-sitting job in the neighborhood.  As I walked across the room, I tripped over my own two feet and plummeted my growing six-foot frame face first into the floor.  It was carpeted, so it didn’t hurt my face - just my pride.  I sheepishly took my red face and lumbering body out the front door to my job.

Eventually I grew into my body.  These days, some 35 years later, I trip less.

Speaking from an emotional intelligence point of view, are you growing into your body?  Are you lumbering around a little too much in family or social situations?  How often do you plummet face first into an unexpected emotional situation?  Here are two quick tips on how to keep your emotional footing: 

  1.   Emotional Intelligence is social in nature.  Stay aware of your social surroundings.  Watch for people or conversations that might trip you up.  Don’t avoid them, just be aware of the tripping potential for you and adapt your pace or footing accordingly.  In your conversation be honest about not knowing much about the topic, or just keep asking questions.  That will shift the focus off of you and give you a learning opportunity as well. 
  2. Emotional Intelligence is personal in nature.  Stay aware of your inner surroundings.  If you start to feel unsure of yourself, capture it as an opportunity to develop emotional intelligence by increasing your self and social awareness.  The world is your classroom!  CAUTION: Avoid thinking of it as a test – it is just a lab where you get to experiment and learn some new stuff!

Emotional trips are inevitable.  But so can growing into increased social competence as you increase your emotional intelligence.  For help on growing your emotional intelligence, go to www.EILifeCoach.com.

Comments