The Broken Part of Unbroken



I have been waiting for the movie for months!  And I wasn’t disappointed.  I went to the movie with my wife on Christmas Day at a great theater with recliner seats, soda and candy.

I read the book a couple of years ago and really liked it.  I am always moved by stories of the human will overcoming adversity.  I think humans are exceptional and when that gets exemplified in someone’s story,  I get emotional.  It can be a little embarrassing because I do actually tear up and sometimes my shoulders shake a little from a mild sob.  That did happen while I watched Unbroken.  I was thankful for the darkness so people didn’t see my  emotion.  But why?  Why was I wanting me and my  emotion to be protected by the dark anonymity the theater provided?  Why do we hide our emotions? 

The parts of the movie I really liked were when the lead character, Louis Zamperini, showed his emotion.  We love his story  because he was strong.  We love his story because he overcame.  But in between, he had real emotion  that he expressed.  He was frustrated, sad, angry, joyful – and he received strength from those emotions – the strength  that, in part, helped him overcome.

How about  you?  Are you hiding your emotion in dark anonymity?  Good emotional intelligence doesn’t hide emotion.  It identifies it.  It filters it. It expresses it. It captures it.  And it uses it for a different future.  

I recommend the movie.  While you watch it, watch for the brokenness that leads to unbrokenness.  Tell me what you think by commenting on this blog.  I also recommend the book.  There is about 25% of the rest of the story  the movie didn't get to.  He goes even deeper and darker - but he overcomes that too - and his faith is what empowers it!

For assistance in developing your emotional intelligence, contact me at Drcarlyle.com.  I have assessments and tools that can help - in a relatively short amount of time.


Comments