My Friend Treated Me Like an Enemy: Using It as An Emotalert

I was surprised this week by a friend who treated me badly.  I thought this person was on my side but I got berated and I wasn't expecting it.

How do you react when a friend behaves like an enemy?

 

The first thing to remember is that this is a behavior.  

In reality they likely are not really an enemy.  It's more likely that they are being emotionally triggered by something that they may or may  not understand and they may or may not even be able to identify why they are so upset.
  • My reaction here can be one of grace - that is granting favor in spite of behavior.

Honestly my  first reaction was not a gracious one, but a defensive and pensive one. 


 The person was off-base, and more than that they crossed a line.  They were actually mean and insulting.
  • My reaction became the 9th Emotalert in my best selling bookThe Fool's Gold Ghost - Learning to Embrace the Nugget of Truth Sooner. 
    • There were two cogent points that were correct.  These points, while initially offensive to me, were truth about me.  Addressing these truths were helpful.  Denying them would have been detrimental to my developing Emotional Intelligence.

 My next reaction was to self-implode.

  • When I discussed this with some accountability partners, one guy said it was like emotional reflux.  I was having emotional indigestion!  My reaction was my 3rd Emotalert from my book: The Mind Trip Ghost - Learning to Avoid Unnecessary Mind-Trips Sooner.
    • After I recovered from my imploding mind trip, I was very surprised about the things I was believing about myself and the things I suddenly became fearful of - tempting me to retreat from who I am supposed to be.
Overall, I was encouraged with how Emotional Intelligence helped me recover - and sooner than I used to recover.  The episode was actually a gift.

All of us have been surprised by a friend who behaves like an enemy, but healthy Emotional Intelligence can help us see it better, learn from it, and then move on.

May today be a day where you live more Emotionally Intelligent!


http://www.amazon.com/Emotalerting-Managing-Moment-Carlyle-Naylor-ebook/dp/B00R6OVUXO

For a 30 second assessment to help you start to understand your own Emotional Intelligence, go to EMOTALERTING.COM



Comments