Emotional Intelligence and Reconcilitation

I am speaking this week at my church  about reconciliation.  While I am approaching it from a religious/Christian perspective, I have been reminded about what reconciliation really is.  I have been asking around and the standard answer I am getting is that reconciliation is a agreeable return to the way things were. 

THIS IS THE WRONG ANSWER!

Reconciliation is moving into a new norm - it is not a return to the old norm.  For a variety of reasons, reconciliation is required usually because a person needs to move away from a situation or relationship that has become unacceptable to them.  The other party may or may  not agree - they don't have to in order for you to step into the new norm. 

A simple definition of Emotional Intelligence is the perception and management of self and others.  Boundary establishment and enforcement is a healthy part of Emotional Intelligence.  Boundary establishment and enforcement is also a part of healthy reconciliation.

Do you need some reconciliation?  Would some healthy boundaries refresh some relationships for you?

For information on how to increase your emotional intelligence, I can help!

Comments