Letting The Right Things In - Emotionally Intelligent Tributaries

I have been thinking a lot lately about the tributaries into my life - particularly into my  thinking.  I am frequently surprised by how momentary inputs (like from a television commercial) bubble up into my day.  The thing about it that bugs me is that many times I didn't pick these things to bubble up into my day.  They just found their way there - and sometimes they are really a waste of time and energy and maybe even detrimental.  This inspires to me to be more diligent about what I let in.

This also pertains to relationships.  Sometimes I realize I am gravitating toward people who will tell me what I want to hear - even if it is negative or maybe a little untrue - a spin-doctored reaction to justify my hurt feelings or a decision I want to make.

Emotional Intelligence manages this part of living in community.  We can't live in isolation - we are communal creatures.  But we can be careful about what we do with the information we do receive - simply by having internal conversations about the information we receive so when it does does bubble up, we have already thought through our internal response to it.  This might sound complicated, but really its not - its just being emotionally responsible.

Here is an article about how the brain handles data - in particular negative data.  http://www.talentsmart.com/articles/How-Negativity-and-Complaining-Literally-Rot-Your-Brain-1719177667-p-1.html.  I hope that I can be one of those people that don't contribute to rotting people's brains.

Comments